Starstream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Affiliates
WebArtz Forum
  • Otaku Galore
  • Who is online?
    In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 132 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:50 am
    Latest topics
    » Main outline/General Topic
    April GMD EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 10:33 pm by slimmmeiske2

» Sup!
    April GMD EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 9:06 am by Rich_Wind18

» What song are you listening to?
    April GMD EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 5:28 pm by slimmmeiske2

» Hello to all :)
    April GMD EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 8:38 pm by firefly

» Hello
    April GMD EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 5:24 pm by 黒月

» Corrupt a Wish!
    April GMD EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 2:44 am by HanaChan

» Frozen cosplay (Weekly Update #27)
    April GMD EmptyFri May 30, 2014 8:56 am by slimmmeiske2

» English Village (Weekly Update #26)
    April GMD EmptyFri May 16, 2014 9:36 am by slimmmeiske2

» What are you doing at the moment?
    April GMD EmptyFri May 09, 2014 2:31 pm by Lignorice

April GMD

Go down

April GMD Empty Re: April GMD

Post by slimmmeiske2 Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:14 am

GMD 2
    More writing today. This time some side quests which I apparently never finished writing. One is a shoe quest you can get at Cinderella's helpdesk, the other is an optional quest you get when you accidentally end up at the wrong cottage in the wood. Namely, the Gingerbread House, where you'll be able to either save Hansel with Grethel or not (but go report to the adults you found them in the woods). I've got 7 side quests so far. Not a lot, but the game isn't going to be that long... probably.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Gold : 1103

Character
    Name: Anlisu
    Title: Vampire Elf of Esta
    Class: Elf

https://starstream.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 pm

GMD 3

Started remapping the heroine's village. I liked it, but it was kinda jammed together, so I wanted it a little bigger. I tried editing it from the original map, but that ended up wrong, so I started from scratch. Still using the exact houses from the original map and the graveyard, but that's it. I definitely will have to edit the tileset though. It's missing some more trees as well as some part of the hills. I'll show you guys a screenshot, when it's looking less bare.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:47 pm

GMD 4

Continued working on my map. Here's a screenie:
    Spoiler:
    Still not done of course. I need to edit the tileset and add some more trees, grass, flowers and more vegetables. The house with the purple stones at the bottom is Little Red Riding Hood's house.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:08 pm

GMD 5

I spent time combining the tileset for the farm village I posted previous. I was nearing the end of my schedule, when my computer decided to shut itself down. Thank God, I saved a few minutes before, so not that much progress got lost.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:09 pm

GMD 6

I know I'm a little later to update, but I wanted to show some images of the new map, so I had to move events and take screenshots and all.
    So I finished my farm village map for the first time. I'll be posting the pics in Game Map and screenshot topic as well and, knowing my mapping skills, will probably have to fix a few things, so yeah.
    Also, is it just me or is fixing transparancy a nuisance? I had to fix it six times as there was always some spot I forgot. ^^;
    The map in its whole (well almost):
    April GMD MrqBOFh
    Some in game screenshots:
    Spoiler:
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 pm

GMD 7

Slightly edited my farm village again. I also started to remap another area called The Bold Knight's Crossroads after a Russian fairy tale. The map itself consists of a passthrough area to get to town. There's a single house, but some other peeps, namely Sir Red are hanging around the area as well. It's not yet showable though as it's just the basics atm. Will have to edit that tileset as well ^^;
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 pm

GMD 8

Sorry for updating later, had to move back to my dorm room. I did work on my game though.
    That being said, I combined the tileset for the crossroad section. It takes a long time, because I feel the need to go through every resource I have to see if I couldn't put it to use.
    I've also been thinking about gameplay lately, mainly the two battles I had planned. I'm not a fan of battles actually, and because I couldn't see a 10 year old girl go out and defeat whatever little animals there were in the forest, I've quickly decided not to use battles. But! Of course there's the confrontation with the Big Baddie. So now I'm thinking instead of having that as the only battle (and some optional ones) to just use it more as a 'puzzle'. A button pressing event or avoiding the wolf event, or even both.

GMD 9

Went and remade my crossroads maps, only to find out that hey that's not what I'm looking for. 3:
    I will be keeping the map however. Maybe I can use it for another area. :/
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:44 pm

GMD 10

Finished my map. Well, not really yet. Need to edit the tileset a little as I forgot to add some kind of stairs. That's harsh if you have to climb
    The map didn't exactly turn out as I wanted, but it looks fine.
    Only two more exterior maps to go for the demo. A bunch of interiors still need to be done, but those are smaller, so yay. :3

GMD 11

Today I've been working on my sprite for Pixel Madness. Well, on eof the possible sprites at least. Can't say much, but I haven't realy decided which one to submit.. I ha the same trouble with the Qualifying sprite, so I made a bunch of recolours then.
    Anyway, on to the actual game making: I've edited my tileset for the Crossroads, but when I first imported it into the maker, the transparency gave up, which was strange as I hadn't changed my background colour at all. In the end, after slightly changing the colour, it somehow accepted the transparency again. I also copied all the events from the previous map over and changed the map a little more.

GMD 12

I didn't work a full hour, but still more than 30 minutes. Anyway, I've been working on the Gingerbread House. There's a lot of them out there, but they are all for VX(Ace), so all in painterly style. :/ So I've been editing an XP RTP house. Still need to do the roof, windows and door. I'm not really looking forward to that roof. It's going to be tough editing that.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 am

GMD 13

Tile editing, tileset editing and mapping today. Only 1 more exterior map for my demo left. (And then on to interiors T.T)
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:01 pm

GMD 14

Hadn't noticed schedule had ended. I've finished betatesting a RM game and am spriting the hair for my Pixel Madness sprite. Almost finished Smile
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 am

GMD 15

Fixing up transfers between my maps and changing passability setting of the new tilesets. I also added some small events on several maps (signs and such).

GMD 16

Just came to realise that unlike the "yay only 1 more exterior, 'till I'm done (for demo)" I've been saying/thinking the past few days, there's still two more as well. One I simply forgot, since I hadn't written that scene in my previous version; the other is out of necessity. I made a world map for my own purpose, so that I would be able to remain consistent. That's why I need another transition area. So today, I've been editing tilesets for those two new exteriors, and changed a bit of my city map (as one of its areas has been moved to the transition map).
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 am

GMD 17

I've been icon hunting to make some shop signs. Still looking for a nice gown icon, and for scales icon.

I've also mapped another exterior, the poor quarters of Hamelin. It was normally supposed to be a part of the city map, but like I said I've changed it. ^^ I still need to add windows as you can see and rotate one of the carts, but I actually really like this map.
    Spoiler:
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:18 am

(Chain break time, so each post this week needs to be 400+ words T.T)

GMD 18

Today I have went through all the extra resources used in my project and made a credits list. There is already some stuff that I know I’ve saved to my computer, but just can’t seem to find them again.

Next, I have slightly changed the icons I got from Jarrad, so that they blended in better with the other icons, and well, pasted them on signs.

I have also made another exterior map, this time a farm, and edited the tileset for the map from yesterday. The farm is important for the first quest, which is a typical go and get my groceries stuff. The only thing that is slightly different from such quests is that there are two ways to get it for each ingredient: a hard way and an easy way. Well hard might be slighted over exaggerated, let’s just say it takes more time and/or money. The easy way is slightly hidden, in that you’ll need to explore and talk to everyone. I’m thinking that perhaps I’ve made it unnecessary complex, but I’ll see what the testers have to say. (The game isn’t close to beta testing though, sorry if I got your hopes up.)

Lastly, I have started spriting some NPCs, as I noticed I had a witch twice in the same town walking around. So besides a new witch, I also sprited several servants of the Rose Castle using Mage02’s outfit. (I swear I’m in love with that sprite/outfit. ) I was first going to have the female servants wear the same clothes, but I believe a recolouring of the RTP maid outfit will be much better.

At the moment, I am still busy spriting a prince character. He is called Beau Dormant (I feel like I have mentioned him before?), and is related to Sleeping Beauty. He reigns in her absence, so actually he is kind of like a king. (That being said I’ve got some trouble following fairytales sometimes at this point: at one time, the character’s a prince, the next moment a king. And it’s never mentioned that the old king passed away or that he abdicated the throne. He just seems to vanish into thin smoke, because apparently the prince should become a king at the end of the tale.) Maybe that’s why the situation concerning Beau (prince or king?) even confuses me from time to time. It also doesn’t help that he is called the King of Kings by the other kings. Well anyway, the important thing to remember is that he is governing the lands.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:56 pm

GMD 19
    I finished my prince sprite today. He ended up being totally different than I had expected, but whatever. I really like how he ended up though
    Here’s the new sprites I made (yesterday and today):
    April GMD GbfP4fg
    (Just recolours, besides Beau who was a little more complex. I can do a bit of custom spriting, but that takes ages, so recolouring it is!)
    From left to right: A servant, a maid, prince Beau and a witch who likes to ‘court’ (read: bewitch) princes. (Really, bewitching princes seems to be the newest trend.) I had the glorious idea to paste the rose icon (from VXAce) on the uniforms, only to realise that that icon is way too big to fit on their clothes. I guess I could try and pixel a rose on it, but meh, it would be so small, no one would notice anyway, so it is not worth the trouble. Also, I will definitely be using the info from this topic for the various jobs of the servants and maids. At the moment, the only servant NPC already in the game is a gardener (he’s painting the white roses red!), so I can definitely use some inspiration on that part.

I’ve been editing the farm tileset, because the roof of the farm didn’t end up nicely. Avery had an add-on, but it wasn’t placed as I thought it was, making the building even more awkward than before. It took me more than ten minutes to figure it out properly and it is still not completely fixed. I will do that afterwards. For now I’d rather just not think about it T.T

I fixed up transfers for my two new maps. Still need to do that one exterior though >.> It shouldn’t be that difficult, it’s just that I have gotten back to spriting more again (and for some reason I find it hard to do different things at the same time. Editing that farm tileset was more than enough concerning mapping today).

I was busy with that for most part of my schedule. (Come on, it is only an hour, what do you guys expect me to do?) But hey, talking about my game (or its preparation) counts too, no? (At least, it did previous GMD *.*)

Well considering my game is about fairy tales, I’ve been pushing myself to reading as much as I can. I’ve got the complete works of Hans C. Andersen and the Brothers Grimm, as well as Lewiss Caroll and all tales from 1001 Nights. Also, have some famous children books such as The Happy Prince, The Wizard of Oz, The Wind in the Willows and more, probably. Needless to say, I haven’t been able to read them all yet. (The Brothers Grimm one only has 200+ fairy tales >.>, Andersen has less, but longer tales, so it’s about the same really.) Anyway, I’ve finished The Happy Prince and The Wizard of Oz and have read 38 Grimm fairy tales (around 200 pages). And since I did actually finish The Wizard of Oz today, it has something to do with my update? :3
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:13 pm

GMD 20

Back to mapping today.

So today I went and fixed the roof of the farm. Took me a few minutes, but as long I thought it would, thank God.

I’ve also mapped the last exterior (for real this time). Well remapped is a better word, actually, as I had mapped in my previous version (unlike the two exteriors I did last time). The map leads to the farm, Bedburg (Little Red Riding Hood’s hometown) and the forest (where grandmother’s cottage is). It is also home to Rumpelstiltskin’s house, where he lives with his mother. I am planning to add a ‘guess that name’ minigame with him, using names of characters you can meet. So I suppose it is more a memory game, than a guessing game, but still, should be fun.

I have also gone ahead and edited the interiors I already had, as some had tetris-shape houses on the inside it seemed. In total, I have edited around 7 interiors, most of them from Bedburg (farm village), as those were the first ones I made when I started this project years ago and from Hamelin (city).

I put some icons in a sprite sheet, so that I can use them on walls. Considering Little Red Riding Hood is still a child and can’t read (like most people in the fairy tale forest actually), almost every building will have a sign, even the ones that aren’t a shop/public building. To be honest, I was going to have her read basic stuff, as she had gone to a public school.

And lastly I’ve remapped the inside of Bluebeard’s Villa, or well at least the parts I need for a cut scene. I had evented it all in the previous version, but since I rewrote the scene last GMD, I needed to change the maps for it. Oh well, it actually didn’t take that long as I used parts from the previous map, so everything went rather smoothly. The Villa still needs some more maps for a side-quest (Get Bluebeard’s Key), but I haven’t written this one out, so I can’t put an exact number on it. Which reminds, there’s another side-quest I haven’t finished writing >.> Oh well, those can wait a little longer I suppose. You see, I’m trying (emphasis on trying) to release a demo (though it will be lacking in certain areas) for the Release Something Weekend. I’m not signing up yet (though that’s okay I read), as I don’t want to pressure myself too much. I already got the GMD and Pixel Madness going on after all.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:36 pm

GMD 21

I did mostly thinking and planning today.

I have made notes of all the tales I had read (really should have done that sooner). From time to time you get a tale where you really can’t use a thing about it. Sometimes because it is too violent (The Robber Bridegroom), sometimes because it is too ridiculous, like The Mouse, the Bird and the Sausage. I have also read a few new tales, nothing really fancy that I can use more than just a mention from a NPC somewhere. :/

I have also been thinking up what icons to use for the houses in town. Not all houses need them as some are facing north and unless they are a shop I’m not planning on adding the side signs. Some were actually quite hard, like Clever Elsie’s house (I went for a barrel), while others were easy like Cinderella’s (Old) house (a glass slipper obviously).

Then I went and finished the one side-quest I mentioned about yesterday. It is kind of a job quest, meaning that you can only get it after you’ve done other quests from the ‘job office’, which in this case in Cinderella’s Shoe Helpdesk. If you’re interested in what part of the Cinderella tale this takes place, I can tell you that it is after the happily-ever-after ending. unfortunately, the happily-ever-after part did not last long, as Cinderella’s poor prince died a few years after their wedding. Poor Cinderella was heart-broken and returned to her home in Bedburg, writing her days away really. She cheered up after a while, returned to Hamelin and opened her Shoe Helpdesk.

Now about the side-quest, it is based on the fairy tale “The Shoes of Fortune” by Hans Christian Andersen. Simply put you have to destroy the shoes of fortune on Care’s request, except that is not as simple as it sounds and to be honest it doesn’t sound simple at all. Like with the first quest, you can pull this one off in different ways. They don’t really affect the endings (the game’s endings I mean, the quest’s endings of course are affected).

I have reorganized all the NPCs I have in the game, are written and the ones that are still in my head. It seems I still have a lot of sprite to (re)make, as I am not happy using the RTP ones for “important” NPCs.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:29 am

GMD 22

So after thinking up what icons to use, I have been searching for them and arranging them in sprite sheets. Little stuff like this really takes longer than it should, but whatever. There is still a few I need to find or find an idea for, but that’s for later.

I went through the writing of the whole main quest again and noticed a few mishaps and such. I corrected them of course

Since I finished reading The Wizard of Oz, I’ve been itching to make a yellow brick road. (Okay, well recolour.) There are two options, but I couldn’t really decide which I liked more. I will try both of them out and see what looks better in game, that is the most important thing after all. I’m planning to use them in Hamelin. ^^ Other than the yellow brick road, there will be one more reference to The Wizard of Oz, namely Dorothy running amok in the fairy tale forest. She is a known face at Cinderella’s Shoe Helpdesk. That is pretty logical, if you think about all the silver/ruby shoes she stolen. She became a “hunted” thief after she stole a princess’ silver wedding shoes though. Dorothy went into hiding after that and shoe thieving crimes were taking much more seriously after that, making it impossible for people like Little Thumbling (Hop-o-my-thumb). Stuff like this will only be mentioned by an NPC or two, but writing circumstances like this out, helps with bringing the world to life.

I’ve added Lunarea’s Church tiles into Hamelin as well, since it was well lacking one. When I started this project I wasn’t really planning on adding any religion, but since after all most tales are written from a religious background (as in every character is religious) or are even dealing with God, the devil or Saint Peter, I have decided to add religion in. I have got a Roman Catholic background, and as most tales do too (or at least Christian’s influences) I have opted for that. Well, it will be more of a background thing, not the focus (though that would be really cool for another game).

I have also gone ahead and remapped Aladdin’s shop as the entrance was facing the wrong way (because I remapped Hamelin previous Game Making Drive). I’m also thinking about remapping the library and adding some different bookcases. That’s definitely what I feel that lacks at the moment.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Wed May 01, 2013 1:45 pm

GMD 23

I wasn't able to work a full hour on my game, but I did wwork more than 30 minutes. Anyway, I did the remapping of the Library today, so I had to compile that tileset as well.

GMD 24

I've slightly recoloured some RTP sprites for some villagers. After that, I started recolouring makapri's harpy for Simplestchaos. Almost done with them Smile
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Thu May 02, 2013 10:19 pm

GMD 25

Sorry I'm posting late again. My computer shut itself down, when I was spriting T.T Thank God, not too much progress was lost. So yeah I started spriting (adult) Gerda (from The Snow Queen) today, since she shows up in the intro. I didn't have any inspiration on her design, so I just googled some medieval clothing and found this. I'll probably change a few details, but that's going to be the overall look of her clothes. :3

Also, went resource-hunting and found Mack's old blog with her XP tilesets and autotiles (I was searching for those!). ((Yes, this feels like an acomplishment)).
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 pm

GMD 26

Finished my Gerda sprite. April GMD Npjjw54
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Sat May 04, 2013 12:22 pm

GMD 27

Edited my prince sprite to add a crown. Also, started making a princess sprite to go with the prince. She's going to be his sister.

And something nothing to do with my game: April GMD LqF1gOU Hope you recognise her Wink Completely custom (except the base of course), it shows a little I think ^^;
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 pm

GMD 28

Made a down sprite for the Hunter. I'd edited his sprite a few days ago (at least I think), but when I was going through my project and inserting several new sprites, I found out that I was using a down sprite of his, as he's sleeping in the first part of my game. (Lazy hunter he is )

Also, I started spriting Kay, Gerda's husband. He's the last sprite I need for my new intro, so I guess I'll start eventing tomorrow (or the day after).

I also slightly edited my princess Margaret sprite: April GMD D9LsGCq And started working on the last row for it. (Sides are always harder >.>)
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down

Post by slimmmeiske2 Thu May 09, 2013 1:40 pm

GMD 29

Finished my Kay sprite. (I should also start to decide which spelling I'm going to use Kay or Kai, I can't really make up my mind. I think the version I read had it spelle as Kay, but I like Kai a lot of well. :/)

Fiddled with some other sprites (not for my game), but I didn't get to complete any of them.

GMD 30

Seriously having a burn out from pixelling and game making atm, so I did the most sensible thing and playtested my game. Fixed up some bugs and typos along the way. Actually playing your game always helps to return the spark for game making. So does other people's interest.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Fairytale Forest Keeper
    Fairytale Forest Keeper

Character

Back to top Go down